Κυριακή 29 Ιουνίου 2008

Love is not enough. It must be the foundation, the cornerstone - but not the complete structure. It is much too pliable, too yielding. Bette Davis

Love is a subject that has been most commented and thought upon by all kinds of people like teenagers,scientists and philosophers.
Everyone seems to think that love either exists and rules in gigantic proportions our lives or it is a mere illusion of our hormones and our humble human need of companionship.
What if it's neither of them, what if it's just a human feeling that comes and goes like hunger or thirst. We love someone because he/she looks very appealing, we crave for his/her presence just like we crave for a sandwich or an ice-cream and once this "craving" feeling is gone, our feeling vanishes as well.
In consequence, I cannot help but wonder "what makes people stick to each other,die for each other?"
The truth is I cannot know,since I'm neither a scientist nor a philosopher (at least a dignified one). I have loved, I have loved and lost with all kinds of love in the available spectrum of loving feelings. Family, friends, boyfriend, pets, other people's pets, lessons etc...And each time I believed that this love was going to last forever and each time I was convinced,beyond any doubt, that I made the right choice.
The funny thing is that once the object of my affection was removed from my life, I mourned for a short time and continued living my life as if nothing had happened with the only proof of my adventure a slight pinch of pain in my heart.
Here I am now, loving passionately a man and my family and some dear friends and my studies...but having,keeping all these in my life is, I'm afraid, impossible since their geography is incompatible with each other.
Which brings me to my main question....how do you choose one love over another?
For me it's obvious! I'll keep studying,I'll visit my scattered friends, spend as much time as I can with my family and I'll marry the man....
Now I am confused regarding the order I have to perform these remedies to my incompatible loves!
At the peak of my frustration it comes to me...how easy would it be to leave everything behind and continue pursuing new loves in my life that will take the place of my current ones????
And then again I realise that I am attached to them...I cannot let go...I would be devastated....because we can easily substitute a love that has abandoned us but not an existing and alive love that we hold in our hands,that is within our reach. When you truly love someone or something you simply cannot let go!
In addition you put more and more effort in order to keep it near you for a longer time....sometimes this effort hurts,some other times you don't even comprehend the effort you've put but at all times it wears you out.....
I can understand how trivial my thought and problems look to you, but these are not problems. In fact these small "brain" battles is what's keeping me alive and well because without them I'd be lost,I'd be leading a tasteless life.
Love is what makes us acknowledge our existence, love is what supports us in our lives (especially when we are loved in return), nothing more and nothing less. But it is a pretty important deal,don't you think?

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: